Can we all just take a moment to give thanks for facial sheet masks? My motto is “Sheet Masks Do it Better”…. I’ve used them as a professional Esthetician for many years. Here are some of my secrets for getting the most benefit from using them.
- Exfoliate first! Before applying a sheet mask, do an enzyme peel, light chemical peel like lactic, or a gentle exfoliating physical scrub. This will make the ingredients in your sheet mask penetrate better.
- Warm them or chill them! You can put the entire pouch in the fridge to cool them- great for constricting capillaries and tightening the skin. You can also warm entire pouch in a bowl of hot water. A warm sheet mask will “open” the pores a bit – softening the skin and allowing deeper penetration of the active ingredients.
- Massage the sheet mask while it’s on your skin. You can do a facial massage starting from the midline of your face, down to your neck and chest. As you massage the ingredients, they will penetrate deeper and your skin will absorb more of the beneficial ingredients. Your skin will also have the added benefit of stimulation from the massage.
- There will probably be a large amount of the “serum” in the package left over- don’t let it go to waste! You can squeeze this out and use this to treat your neck and chest. You could also refrigerate the leftover serum and you apply it the next day to give your skin a boost.
- Look for ingredients like Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin C, botanicals, plant stem cells, peptides. Read your labels and make sure you’re getting lots of quality, active ingredients.
- Make sure you leave the sheet mask on at least 20 minutes. It takes a while for all of the ingredients to soak in to your skin, and if you remove it too soon the benefits will be minimized
Holy Sheet! I must say, I’m so glad sheet masks are becoming so popular. There are many different brands and lots of good ones available in retail and professional. I love the masks by France Laure, since they contain stem cells, but they are only available to professionals. Sheet masks are the best way to keep your skin hydrated between facial treatments by your Esthetician, or after a long flight, before a big event, or whenever your skin needs healing and hydration.