I recently had the honor to attend the 3rd Annual Inside Anne’s Closet celebrity fashion show and fundraiser luncheon, which was held at the Menlo Circus Club in Atherton, CA. It was a wonderful event supporting a non profit that is helping to save lives, The Colon Cancer Alliance.
The mission of the Colon Cancer Alliance is to knock colon cancer out of the top three cancer killers. It was founded in 1999 by 41 colon cancer survivors, their family members, care givers and friends. The lifetime risk for contracting colon cancer is 1 in 23 for women and men. 90% of colon cancers are diagnosed after age 50. Prevention is key and colon cancer has one of highest cure rates if found early. The Colon Cancer Alliance has an informative and easy to navigate website. There is even a quiz you can take to assess your risk factors, and so much more valuable information. They also have financial assistance forms you can fill out online for help paying for screening and medical tests. There is also a helpline you can call to answer any questions. There are so many incredible resources available thru this truly amazing nonprofit organization.
This years Honorary Chair was world famous American Fashion Designer and colon cancer survivor Carmen Marc Valvo. He was inspired to make colon cancer prevention fashionable, and spread awareness and the message of early detection by his good friend, Katie Couric. Carmen Marc Valvo donated an amazing New York Fashion Week package with private cocktail parties with A-list celebs, and including a personal fitting and one of his elegant couture designer dresses! This auction was exciting and really got the crowd going, with Mr. Valvo spontaneously deciding to generously donate not 1 but 4 lucky auction winners this amazing package! That was a crowd pleaser!
The elegant event was in honor of Event Chair John Paye’s (Stanford Hall of Fame Quarterback and former San Francisco 49er) mother Anne, who passed away in June 2013 at age 68 from the disease. Anne, was a lover of fashion and inspired friends and family to be proactive and spread the word about screening and prevention and reaching out to underserved communities. Bay Area NBC anchor Jessica Aguirre was a spectacular emcee of the event, and looked gorgeous in a stunning Carmen Marc Valvo cocktail dress.
The runway show included fashions donated by local and national retailers, such as Jenni Kayne, Louisa Spagnoli, Gitane, Brooks Brothers, and culminating with a couture evening gown presentation by Carmen Marc Valvo. Many local celebrities, current and/or former athletes from Bay Area sports teams, and on-air sports talent modeling summer trends, participated in the fashion show! Here is a listing of who was strutting it on the runway!
2017 Runway Models
- Harrison Phillips, Defensive End, Stanford University Football
- Alameen Murphy, Cornerback, Stanford University Football
- Alijah Holder, Cornerback, Stanford University Football
- Bryce Love, Running Back, Stanford University Football
- Brittany McPhee, Guard, Women’s Stanford University Basketball
- Kaylee Johnson, Forward, Women’s Stanford University Basketball
- Dijonai Carrington, Guard, Women’s Stanford University Basketball
- Kelsey Humphreys, Stanford University Volleyball Player
University of Southern California:
- Jackson Barrett, University of Southern California Volleyball Player
Pro Athletes/Bay Area Notables:
- Tank Williams, Yahoo Sports College & Fantasy Football Analyst, Former Stanford University and NFL Football Player with the Tennessee Titans, Minnesota Vikings, and New England Patriots
- Drew Bennett, First Take NFL analyst, Former UCLA and Tennessee Titans Football Player
- Khari Stephenson, Former MLS Soccer player
- Toi Cook, Former Stanford University Football Player and San Francisco 49er
- Steve Bono, Former UCLA Football Player and San Francisco 49er
- Eric Byrnes, Analyst at MLB Network, Former UCLA and Oakland Athletics Baseball Player
- Raj Mathai, News Anchor for NBC Bay Area KNTV
- Jon Root, Olympic Gold Medalist in Men’s Volleyball, Former Stanford University Volleyball Player
- Rosalyn Gold-Onwude, Basketball Analyst for ESPN, Sideline reporter Comcast, for regionalbroadcasts of Golden State Warriors and San Francisco 49ers games, Former Stanford University Basketball Player
- Sonia Mathai, VP, Global Head of People at Synack
- Lulu Eschelman, Handbag Fashion Designer, LumillaMingus